Friday, July 30, 2010

‘Dangerous’ Inmate Walks out of Rhode Island Prison with Someone Else’s ID

CRANSTON — It was 45 minutes after inmate Nayquan J. Gadson presented the identification of another prisoner and walked out of the Adult Correctional Institutions Tuesday before guards realized they had been tricked, the state police say.

By then, the 21-year-old was gone.

Gadson, who had been held at the ACI since July 2 and was facing numerous charges including first-degree robbery, possession of a firearm in committing a crime of violence and eluding police, became the first prisoner to escape from the prison since career criminal Scott Kelly Hansen slipped out in November 1998 by posing as a federal marshal, according to Providence Journal archives.

Throughout the day Wednesday, members of the State Police Violent Fugitive Task Force, as well as police from across the state, searched for the 5-feet, 8-inch, 170-pound inmate. Due to his past record, he has been deemed highly dangerous by the state police.

Capt. David S. Neill, state police detective commander, said Gadson, who had been assigned to a two-man cell in the Intake Center’s H Mod, is believed to have hatched the plan for his escape while talking to another inmate who was assigned there.

Neill refused to identify the other inmate, referring to him as “John Doe.” Neill said the inmate advised Gadson that he would be walking out of the prison if he could make bail. Gadson, according to Neill, concocted a scheme whereby a friend on the outside would contact a bail bondsman to say that Doe was ready to make bail.

With the payment arranged, both Doe and Gadson knew that the bondsman would be coming by the facility Tuesday at 5 p.m. to do the final paperwork for Doe’s release. In anticipation of his arrival, the two men switched cells, Neill said.

Each cell typically serves two inmates, but on Monday, Doe moved into an empty cell because Gadson’s roommate was due for a court appearance. Gadson moved into Doe’s cell, sharing space with Doe’s roommate.

According to Neill, the unsuspecting bondsman, whom Neill also refused to identity, showed up at the Intake Center to make the bail payments for Doe. Told that Doe was ready to be released, a guard went to his cell and found two prisoners, one of whom identified himself as Doe.

Read more here and follow us on Twitter!

No comments: